Cajun Spiced Chicken
This is one of my favorite Dutch Oven recipes. The ingredients travel well for camping and pre-chopping at home then placing each ingredient in Ziploc bags makes it a great no fuss evening meal in the great outdoors.
- 6 chicken breasts boned and skinned
- 2 Tablespoon Cajun Dust or any cajun seasoning mix
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium onions halved and sliced very thin
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 1/2 cup . eggplant skinned and diced small
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 small zucchini slice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can Cajun Stewed Tomatoes 14oz.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon herbed white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chives finely chopped
Preheat Dutch oven over 16 to 20 coals, add olive oil. When oil is warm add chicken and brown on both sides. Remove chicken. Saute onions until tender.
Add remaining vegetables and saute about 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes, stock and vinegar, Bring mixture to a simmer, then put the chicken back on top.
Put lid on the Dutch oven and simmer for about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chives on top and serve. I like to serve this over rice. If you can't find Cajun spices, use Italian.
I never follow this exactly, because I use what vegetables I have at the time. It's easily adjustable to many variations. Also, I frequently use just half of the Cajun spices. It is very spicy!