Babycakes Bakery's Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
If you can’t make it to Babycakes Bakery in Sacramento, California, where chef/co-owner Teresa Urkofsky-Collins bakes these fresh each morning, you can still sample a taste of triple chocolate heaven at home!
These are moist and oh so decadent. If you want to impress your friends with chocolate goodness, this is the recipe!
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (at the
- Raley's test kitchen (we liked the Green and Black's)
- brand best)
- 2 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cups ½unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 cups ½warm water
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Dark Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar (divided)
- About 6 tbsp. milk (divided)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- in Chocolate sprinkles (found with cake decorations
- our baking aisle)
- To prepare cupcakes, preheat oven to 350°F and line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. Whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl; set aside.
- Whisk together butter, water, sour cream, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl until well mixed. Stir in dry ingredients until thoroughly combined (batter will be rather wet).
- Divide equally into prepared pans and bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare frosting, melt butter with salt. Transfer to a mixing bowl and beat in cocoa powder until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Beat in 1 cup powdered sugar, then 2 tbsp. milks scraping down sides of bowl with each addition until sugar and milk are all used. Beat in vanilla. (Add additional milk, 1 tsp. at a time, as needed to obtain spread-able consistency.) Frost each cupcake with a generous dollop of frosting and press sprinkles onto sides.