Dutch oven comfort food full of cheesy warmth.
- 3 lbs small potatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil 3 tablespoons
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 vertically sliced white onion
- 1 tablespoon sliced garlic about 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces Gruyère cheese grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons Flavor God cheese seasoning (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Add water into your Dutch oven (DO) and allow the potatoes to boil for 20 minutes. Drain. Leave potatoes in DO.
Heat oil and 1/2 cup butter in a large, 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add potatoes, stirring them occasionally to create a browned sides, letting them sizzle a but before turning. Flip potatoes several times to keep from burning.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a separate pan include these ingredients to create the sauce. I use a frying pan.
Add onion, garlic, and thyme to skillet over medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly for 30 seconds. Stir in cream and 1/2 cup butter, bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Stir in cheese, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring to melt before adding more. Add cheese seasoning and stir. When completely smooth pour sauce into DO.
Stir potatoes and sauce until well covered. Cover with Dutch Oven lid. Bake in preheated oven until potatoes are tender, about 35 minutes. Sprinkle with chives and pepper, serve with sauce.
I started with this recipe and modified it for me.
myrecipes.com – accessed 09Oct2020